On a special episode of Parliamentary Conversations in the Commonwealth, the former Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, sits down with the CPA Secretary-General, Stephen Twigg, for a wide-ranging conversation.
Gillard, who served as Prime Minister from 2010 to 2013:
- praises affirmative action as a proven solution to increase the representation of women in Parliament
- warns that 'we could be back to ground zero' unless world leaders urgently address vaccine inequality
- highlights that COVID-19 had left 'unanswered questions' about children's mental health
- calls the situation in Afghanistan 'absolutely heart-breaking to watch'
- admits that the Commonwealth must 'stare' its colonial history 'in the face' in order to move forward