The Small Branches network comprises of Commonwealth jurisdictions with populations under 500,000 and operates within the framework of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. It is governed by an elected Chairperson and a Steering Committee of representatives from each of the CPA Regions within the Small Branches network. Staff from the CPA Headquarters Secretariat support the network by coordinating activities alongside its members.
The CPA Small Branches Steering Committee comprises of the Chairperson and seven Members who represent the seven Regions of the CPA that include Small Branches; Africa, Australia, British Isles and the Mediterranean, Canada, Caribbean, Americas and the Atlantic, Pacific and South-East Asia.
The formation of the Small Branches Steering Committee was approved and recommended by the CPA Executive Committee at its Mid-Year Meeting in Mauritius in 2018.
The current list of Regional Representatives are as follows:
- CPA Africa Region: Hon. Gervais Henrie MNA (Seychelles)
- CPA Australia Region: Hon. Ngaree Ah Kit MLA (Northern Territory)
- CPA British Islands and Mediterranean Region: Hon. Juan Watterson SHK (Isle of Man)
- CPA Caribbean, Americas and Atlantic Region: N/A
- CPA Pacific Region: Hon.Tofa Nafoitoa Talaimanu Keti MP (Samoa)
- CPA South East Asia Region: Hon. Hamizan bin Hassan (Perlis)
The position of Small Branches Chairperson was established at the 60th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference in Yaoundé, Cameroon in 2014, it was agreed that. The Chairperson is elected at the Small Branches Conference for a term of three years. Since February 2021, the Acting Chairperson of the Small Branches is Joy Burch MLA, Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Legislative Assembly.