Learning and striving for excellence should be a lifelong objective. With this in mind, the CPA has designed The CPA Parliamentary Academy: A Centre of Excellence for Commonwealth Parliamentarians. The Academy was initially intended as a central learning hub for Commonwealth Parliamentarians, Clerks and parliamentary officials. Today, that purpose has been extended to anyone who wishes to learn about Parliaments and key thematic topics.
In May 2021, the Academy launched its first set of nine online courses. Each course includes up to ten modules consisting of video briefings, lessons, reading materials and tests. These static courses can be completed in a number of hours and can be undertaken at any time with no time limits for completion imposed on the student.
Since its establishment, nearly 800 individuals have taken up these courses. The Academy offers participants the opportunity to learn directly from people who are shaping the way Parliaments act and operate today. More than 85 MPs, Clerks and international experts contributed video lessons, resources and case studies, offering their personal insights on subjects ranging from gender-sensitive budgeting to codes of conduct.
The following online courses are currently available:
CPA Parliamentary Professional Development Certificate (awarded to those that complete all the courses)
- Induction for New Parliamentarians
- Legislative Process
- Scrutiny, Accountability and Oversight
- Representation, Advocacy and Education
and at an advanced level:
- NEW in 2023: Advanced Course for Speakers and Presiding Officers
CPA Parliamentary Service Professional Development Certificate (awarded to those that complete all the courses)
- Basic Principles of Parliamentary Procedure
- Committee System
- Administration and Management of Parliaments
- Building Relationships
- Strategy, Business Planning and Monitoring and Evaluation
CPA Public Financial Management Certificate (awarded to those that complete the course below)
- Public Accounts Committee Course
CPA Small Branches: Climate Change Certificate (awarded to those that complete the course below)
- Parliamentary Action on Climate Change in Small Jurisdictions Course
CPA CWP Network: Effective Women's Parliamentary Caucuses certificate (awarded to those that complete the course below)
- NEW in 2023: Effective Women's Parliamentary Caucuses Course
CPA CPwD Network: Making Parliaments Accessible Certificate (awarded to those that complete the course below)
- Making Parliaments Accessible Course
New online courses (both Moderate and Advanced) will be launched in 2023. The following courses have been confirmed:
- The Sustainable Development Goals: Parliaments’ role in their implementation
- Chairing a Parliamentary Committee
The CPA is a Member of the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Certification Service. CPD was established in 1996 as the leading independent CPD accreditation institution operating across industry sectors to complement the Continuing Professional Development policies of professional institutes and academic bodies. The CPD Certification Service provides support, advice and recognised independent CPD accreditation compatible with global CPD principles.