About the CPwD Capital Investment Fund
The CPwD Capital Investment Fund is a reserve of funding established by the CPA Secretariat in 2021 with the aim of raising the accessibility of CPA member Parliaments.
The priorities for the Fund include, but are not limited to, improving the physical accessibility of Parliaments, procurement of assistive technology, or supporting persons with disabilities to seek higher office.
Examples of initiatives:
• Installation of a ramp(s) with a low gradient, allowing a person to access a higher level in a building.
• Provision of transcription or sign language interpretation of live parliamentary proceedings.
• Enabling vocal commands, braille, and/or screen readers on computers to allow persons with visual impairments to easily use them.
• Installation of automated doors, making entering a parliament building easier for persons with mobility impairments.
• The conversion of documentation into easy-read formats for people with sight impairments.
• Procurement of benches/resting areas in long corridors, allowing those that use crutches to rest.
• Widening of doorways, security barriers, and/or lifts for access to wheelchair users.
• Construction/development of restrooms for persons with disabilities.
• Improvement of access to a parliament’s website (e.g. text-to-speech features).
• Expansion/development of parking for persons with disabilities.
• Provision of hearing loops in meeting rooms to facilitate the participation of persons with hearing impairments.
These examples are merely illustrative in showing the type of proposals that will be considered. The proposals are then selected based on suitability and how far they contribute towards the aims and priorities of the Network in enabling the effective and full participation of persons with disabilities in representative democracy. Proposals for the fund to cover costs as part of a larger project involving other entities will be considered.